Last visit was:

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Another world cup

Kick back, relax, and chat about anything you want.

Another world cup

Postby Carina Rei » Sat May 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Jose Maria Minella Stadium, which was built in the city of Mar del Plata, was opened in 1978 with a capacity of 35,354 spectators and was a venue where it was played the World Cup 1978, hence it was renamed as World Cup Stadium.

In the World Cup there were played six games of the first phase at the stadium. Brazil played three matches in the opening round and Italy two.

The top scorer was the Argentinian Mario Kempes doing 6 points.

Moreover, the Argentina football team received the FIFA Fair Play Award for being the team with the least number of cautions during the tournament.

Thinking about that next month will begin another World Cup, this time in Brazil, South America, I remember the previous world held in South America and in the neighboring country, Argentina, where I was born and raised, and I was lucky to participate as a small piece in the big global organization, in such an important moment for my country. Looking for information about my country at that time, I read things that I was not aware at that years of military dictatorship and as we were seeing from the outside, but this part is not in my memory, as I was not aware.

At the beginning of the previous summer or rather December 77, my sister and I returned to Mar del Plata after working six months of the summer in the northern hemisphere, in Toronto, Canada as an au pair, so we defended quite well in English. That summer a friend told me that they were looking for girls who spoke several languages, especially English, for working in the next world cup, so a friend and I applied for it.

The XI World Cup was held in Argentina between 1 and June 25, 1978. The World Cup returned to South America for the first time since 1962. The tournament was contested at 6 stadiums, distributed in the cities of Buenos Aires, Rosario, Mar del Plata, Cordoba and Mendoza.

An instructor gave us an operator course to my friend, to me and the other girls hired by Entel, which included things such as setting up a call or learning the main prefixes of the participating countries. Our task was meeting reporters who were responsible for covering the world cup in this subsite: Mar Del Plata.

At that time there were no cell phones and there was no direct line to speak of one country to another. Journalists had to come to the press center of the Hotel Provincial, where we worked and requested us the communication with their country, we indicated them the cabin where they had to go and once they got there they spoke with their respective office to convey the latest news .

It was a great experience, which I remember fondly, I met other bilingual girls such as a German lady, and even an American girl who was visiting the country. I was also very surprised and amazed when I was asked to communicate in order to transmit a photo; it was the first time I knew what a telephoto was.

The mascot of this World Cup was the Gauchito and the official ball was changed to Adidas Tango. This ball became a classic of the design that was about to endure for five World Cups, and had more waterproofing than the previous designs.

I hope that in this next World Cup in a beautiful country like Brazil, everything goes well, that football players play with great sportsmanship and that the best team wins and leaves a beautiful memory to all for having participated and being part of the history of Football.

Carina
Correction of the english version by Paula

More information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_FIFA_World_Cup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Jos%C3%A9_Mar%C3%ADa_Minella

Puedes leer este artículo en español aquí
http://entrenandoaikido.com/otro-mundial-de-futbol/?preview=true

Bitte lese diesen Artikel hier auf Deutsch
http://wirtrainierenaikido.com/eine-weitere-fussball-weltmeisterschaft/?preview=true
Carina Rei

Return to Open Topics