Last visit was:

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 am

Daily Applications of Aikido

Kick back, relax, and chat about anything you want.

Daily Applications of Aikido

Postby Carina Rei » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:46 pm

The other day I was bored and went into a forum, in which I was not since two years ago and I was struck by the reference topic, and I was surprised!

Some people have fix ideas. Here the explanation of my surprise: I read the following on the title of this Article:

"As many times as I've heard the phrase, I don't really know what a "way of life" is. There are obvious examples of those who are voluntarily in what the sociologists call a total institution (for example, those living in a monastic community), but the phrase is so widely used in cases beyond those examples that I'm just not sure what it means. Certainly I don't spend most of my day consciously "doing aikido", and I think it's far-fetched to suggest that I'm doing it unconsciously either. Problem-solving, dealing with interpersonal difficulties, walking down the street, people did all these things long before aikido existed. But I know that there are those who like to frame their lives in those terms."

When I started four years ago the thread :"Real aikido is not just for the dojo" in the same forum saying

"Aikido is a way of life. In our first aikidoclasses we are confused trying to understand anything between the rare movements and the strange words. But after a few years we realize that the movements give sense and we notice a change in our behaviour, we become much calmer, organized and see every problem from a certain distance. As a shodan we get a responsibility as a person, a human beeing in all our acts and our behaviour during the rest of our life."

The same person replied to me:

"A way of life"? What does that mean? Does it mean that you live in a dojo? Does it mean that you give up your job and become an uchideshi?

Four years !!!!! This person is really loyal to his thoughts, he has not evolved, nor learned, I don't know if he still trains in aikido, but he is a regular on the forum, so he has not used or applied, or thought about anything he had read in these four years, for me it was just a big surprise, since I myself believe that I have changed a little, I learned a lot and thought and reflected about what I have learned and have rectified some ideas of which I became convinced that they were wrong.

Of course you can apply aikido in everyday life and it gradually occurs without realizing it. Just think that aikido is not about winning, it is a great concept, so you do not have to compete, and it is a great plus applicable to daily life .

Commenting I realized I was taking the performance of the technique to the use of my words, joining uke, that is not facing him, but following the line of attack, saying that I agreed with what he said then take him to my side writing what I really thought.

In the discussions, if there is no need to win, you can try to understand your partner and not wanting to be always right. You can try to connect with your partner, take him to your ground and convince him, like when you apply a technique and control him. You can dodge, to step aside, to avoid a blow or aggression of words. Absorb and redirect the words as in the art. You can go down and let the attacker (partner) pass above you, passing the subject, remaining calm and mostly using your understanding!

One of the fundamentals of Aikido is the principle of maintaining a straight line in the body, we should also be straight as a person.

I am convinced that we, who train honestly in this beautiful martial art have noticed this change, we are applying aikido in our lives, we are applying the Aiki principles and hope that those who have not understood the concept to which this article refers yet, someday will understand!

Carina

Puedes leer este artículo en español aquí
http://entrenandoaikido.com/aplicaciones-del-aikido-en-el-dia-dia/?preview=true

Bitte lese diesen Artikel hier auf Deutsch
http://wirtrainierenaikido.com/anwendungen-vom-aikido-im-alltag/?preview=true
Carina Rei

Re: Daily Applications of Aikido

Postby Francis Takahashi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:57 pm

The standout question in this treatment appears to be "Is Aikido a way of life?" If so, should it be? That would be the attendant question.

The answer is, it depends. It depends on whether you are willing and able to travel the same route as the Founder, and to persevere as he did to the very end? Are you destined, as his top disciples chose to do, to take his teaching as a baseline foundation, and to then expand that beginning into something uniquely their own. This is what the Founder continually encouraged them, and anyone else to do.

The above then answers the 2nd question, which is NO, it should not because it cannot. There was only one Morihei Ueshiba, complete with his radically unique set of circumstances, timelines and opportunities. And, there is only one you.

What we should be dealing with is how well do we understand Aiki Principles, and how capable are we in implementing them in this time and place. How "faithful" do we need to be in not deviating from the core parameters of what we believe to be the principles that the Founder incorporated? How much of our own ideas and discoveries are we allowed to mix in to keep it "pure"?

Aikido, as practiced worldwide, is essentially what we practice on the mat. What gets carried off from that experience is strictly case by case, and individually determined. There is no template, and there is no follow up to confirm how you are doing. You are on your own. If you choose to judge your life's accomplishments and epiphanies from what happens on the mat exclusively, you are welcome to do so. To do so on a daily basis, now that would be amazing.

We must face the reality that it is how we incorporate Aiki Principles into our lives that really are germane to this discussion, and the only truth that applies. Since there is no general agreement on what those Principles are, what the hell are we talking about?

For me, my daily Aikido based training and behavior is strictly by my own design, mixing in ALL of my life's experiences, discoveries and epiphanies, and changing on a daily basis.

To everyone else, I wish good luck, and happiness along your way.
Francis Takahashi

Re: Daily Applications of Aikido

Postby Carina Rei » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:42 am

Thank you very much Takahashi Shihan for your complement of my article. I agree with you that there was only one Morihei Ueshiba, an extraordinary man.

What I was trying to explain in my article is, that through honest and sincere training I am using step by step the aikido I learned on the mat, the physical learning is also transforming my mental attitude.

Instead of replying to an aggressive verbal provocation with aggression I try to connect and calm, accept and bring the aggressor to my terrain, the same you would to in a technique. Not confronting, but connecting.
Carina Rei

Return to Open Topics