Last visit was:

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am

Passing of Red Sakamoto

Any AAUSA & affiliated dojo news will be posted here.

Passing of Red Sakamoto

Postby Francis Takahashi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 am

This is a belated tribute to my life long friend, Robert "Red" Sakamoto, who mentored me when I was stationed in the U.S. Army in Chicago b/w 1963 and 1965. I was installed as the second Aikikai instructor, following the graduation of my childhood friend, and first Aikido instructor, Chester Sasaki. Those years were amongst my happiest and memorable.

It is with a heavy heart that I share the sad news of the passing of an unknown “little giant” of Aikido in America, Robert “Red” Sakamoto, in Phoenix, Arizona.
I just received confirmation from his lovely bride, Johanna “Ninjin” Sakamoto, that her beloved husband had passed away after a prolonged illness. Red was a Shihan level aikido instructor in his own right, affiliated with M. Saotome of the ASU, and an accomplished Iai master as well.
Red was a key founding member of the original Chicago Aikido Club back in the early 1960’s, that oversaw a succession of historic instructors represent Aikikai Foundation. Red preferred to work in the background, downplaying his undeniable role of support for Messrs. C. Sasaki, K. Hirata, F.Takahashi, I. Takahashi, A. Tohei, K. Choate amongst others over a 30 plus year span.
Red is survived by his wife Ninjin, son Joey, nephew Alan Nagahisa, 7th dan Aikikai of the Ohana Aikido Dojo in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is already sorely missed.
May he indeed, Rest in Peace!
Francis Takahashi

Re: Passing of Red Sakamoto

Postby Carina Rei » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:39 pm

My heartfelt condolence for the family and friends a big hug for Ninjin.
Carina Rei

Return to AAUSA News & Information