Last visit was:

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am

Importance of Keeping it Simple

Sensei's thoughts and writings

Re: Importance of Keeping it Simple

Postby Carina Rei » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:13 am

Today I put the translation of this beautiful article of Francis Takahashi Sensei in my blogs in german http://wirtrainierenaikido.blogspot.com/2011/08/wichtig-es-einfach-zu-halten.html
and in spanish http://entrenandoaikido.blogspot.com/2011/08/la-importancia-de-mantenerlo-simple.html and I got a very nice comment, that I try to translate:
Musubi said:Very interesting entry and in the same way with a recurring text. I would like to add a few sentences of my teacher in this regard:

"... The Union does not come from outward action, but of personal realization. Let others follow his path.

There is no disunity among practitioners of the Path of Love,even they are together or across the world.

There is no disagreement between the true practitioners of the Art of Love and the rest of the universe.

The real aikidoka extend his hands down, to generate love and life (ki) to give, and always humble, does not require anything to anyone but himself.

The Union will emerge to give, give, doing Tai-iku, give to get and give Ki-iku, iku Toko-compliance, to get to Chi-iku. That is essential, and the rest is secondary ... "

Finally I add of my own perhaps for that reason, and I say perhaps accompanied by a wink at Carina, this blog that "gives" so much allows other Aikidoka like me, to join her proposals, as we share the essence of day to day on the mat we instill our teachers.

Here my response

Entrenando Aikido
said:Thank you Jesus, I will put your comment in the original, I'm not so good in translating from Spanish to English , the reverse is easier , but I'll try. And I am of the opinion that with a sincere, humble training and leaving the ego out, one can achieve the Aikido, its Founder O Sensei pretended, to take the path of peace, for yourself and others.
Last edited by Carina Rei on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carina Rei

Postby Francis Takahashi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am

Wonderful comments and enhancements of the intent of the original message.

Kudos to both Carina and Jesus, for their amazing insights, and contributions to this simple work!
Francis Takahashi

Importance of Keeping it Simple

Postby AAUSA » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 am

Aiki Principles, especially those that pertain directly to the Founder’s development of his Aikido, are actually intended to be quite simple, resonate seamlessly with established truths, and to invite genuine and reasoned discussion amongst those who respectfully participate. I find that this fundamental quality is consistent and widespread within the historic existence of great philosophies, and universally accepted systems of thought.

Simplicity can act elegantly as a key facilitator for the myriad of inventions produced by humans over their time and influence. The expanding myopic obsession with martial relevance as a primary prerequisite for modern budo, appears too all consuming and inappropriate to many. Perhaps this narrow perspective may be attributed to the proliferation of mixed martial arts programs, studios, and so called reality shows. It may even be attributable to an alarming diminution of confidence in the way modern martial arts are promoted and practiced today, and not only in Aikido.

The rising tendency to neglect viable options of expression to explore, and to reveal and expand on Aiki’s many other unique treasures appears almost epidemic. It can appear that the faithful students of traditional values are left to fend for themselves when it comes to exploring philosophical content, socially responsible behavior, and emphases on individual accountability and integrity.

Are we becoming more impolite, less tolerant of the views of others, and simply losing the ability to treat others with a minimum of respect? Are we guilty of taking ourselves way too seriously, and our pursuit of the true expression Aiki Principles not seriously enough? How did our leaders let this happen? Have we found those elegant truths to be more difficult to assimilate, to properly digest, and to remain faithful to?

Love is indeed high maintenance, and our professed love of Aiki Principles does require extraordinary effort to maintain, and to protect. Perhaps we are being too sophisticated in our zeal to define and promote the benefits of Aiki and of Aikido. It may even become timely to explore making things more simple, to redefine what, how and why we have incorporated these principles, and genuine Aikido training, into our daily routine.

It may be true that there exist fundamental differences of opinions as to what those principles actually are, and as to how best to be appropriately apply them on a daily basis. The question may well be, when will we individually and collectively find common ground in defining what Aikido’s values are today. This assumes that there should be a commonly held definition and universally standard understanding of what Aikido is to everyone. Nothing could be further from the hard truth that O Sensei tried so hard to express. Aiki, and the student's ultimate creation of his Aikido, must be a personal statement, and not an affirmation of some commonly held belief.

We cannot afford to miss the central point of allowing the simplicity of Aiki truths, and Aikido training, to guide our particularly individual needs, and of our chosen training styles. It really is that simple to contemplate, and that difficult to achieve.

Nature has proven time and time again, that the successful evolution of viable behavior, and of those life forms that survive the cauldron of daily challenges to their right to exist, has never been ours to control. Our human legacy is but a mere hiccup in the inexorably relentless scheme of evolutionary change. The unnatural urgency under which we arbitrarily place our human agendas, as opposed to the rest of the natural world, would be laughable if it were not so often tragic. Any invention by man, including the Founder’s magnificent contribution, must be rationally assessed as having been allowed, and not forcibly imposed on Nature. I recall the humorous statement that “man plans, God laughs”. Isn’t it time to admit that we are taking our sense of relative importance, and of our imbedded senses of “entitlement and reasonable expectations” to an absurdly unsustainable degree? It truly is time to get simple again.

Aikido is essentially a tool, to be used wisely, or abused and misused with any number of unwanted or unforeseen consequences. The Aikido of the Founder is not a “done deal”, a “stand alone template” for the rest of the martial arts world, and society, to assume and impose in any primary position of honor or authority. The Founder warned against the trap of human arrogance and naive complacency. He warned us to entrust our future to rigorously honest, and sincerely focused daily training. We must remain hungry, insatiably curious, and uncompromisingly focused on individual development and growth as martial artists, and as humans. The mentors and heroes we may choose to guide us, must also be subject to the same careful scrutiny, based on the highest standards of integrity of behavior, sincerity of purpose, and hard won humility.

The fundamentals of the Founder’s Aikido, and those of the Aikido we personally may choose to redefine and develop on a daily basis, must remain uncomplicated, easy to comprehend, and simple to implement. We readily acknowledge that the actual Way is difficult and demanding. Why would we also choose to render it impossible to accomplish, by making it unnecessarily complicated and convoluted as well. The late Doshu kept reminding us that all truths would eventually become evident from daily training, and from the uncompromisingly honest assessment we give to ourselves. We are, and were meant to be, our own primary teachers.

Miyamoto Musashi was credited with the saying, ‘today’s lesson is to correct yesterday’s misunderstanding”. Perhaps by resolving to keep the guidelines simple, we can then apply our limited energies to confronting our internal demons, overcoming the inertia of complacency, and to undo the paralysis from unfounded fears. By simply adhering to a daily discipline patterned on a mindset without malicious doubt or unneeded interference, we may yet fulfill the wish of the late Doshu for us to excel, and to do so with joy and gratitude in our hearts.
AAUSA
Site Admin

Postby Carina Rei » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you Takahashi Shihan for this revisited article, again very thoughtful and wise.

Yes, we should keep things simple, our Aiki principles and our regular training, for us and for them who will come after us. We are only a tiny part in the vast universe, a part of Mother Nature and should remember it, when our bad qualities threaten to come out, just stay simple and humble and always grateful for being able to enjoy our training with others who think alike.
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 am

Some comments in the revisited version

Ricardo Amorim says:
Good Morning, Carina
This text by Takahashi Shihan makes me think on the path, I saw Aikido from the 70s. I agree with the Shihan, at the end of all, are we who humbly must work for ourselves.
A very wise advice of the Shihan, just like O-Sensei taught us that we must avoid the evil of our minds through harmonization and keep our honest practice, day after day. O'Sensei pointed us to practice meditation and Misogi, too.
Thank you very much to the Shihan for this article, that makes us reflect on the road and you for the translation.
Embrace.

Good morning Ricardo
Thank you very much for your beautiful complement and comment to this excellent article by Takahashi Shihan
a hug

Puedes leer este artículo en español aqui
http://entrenandoaikido.com/la-importancia-en-mantenerlo-simple-revisado/

Bitte lese diesen Artikel hier auf Deutsch
http://wirtrainierenaikido.com/es-ist-wichtig-es-einfach-zu-halten-ueberarbeitete-version/
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:48 am

Some comments in my spanish blog of the first version

AikiGuille says:
We live in the age of immediacy , we are just a click away to access to any information in real time and almost any need we may have. The effort and tenacity to achieve a goal are lost , if we want something, we want it now . In succeeding generations the problem will be exacerbated and it is our work to educate all children today , that what matters is the way and not the goal.
A hug Carina .

Hello Guillermo ,
That's very true , thank you very much for your thoughtful comment ,
thank you very much and
a hug

Ricardo Amorim says:
Good Morning, Carina,
Interesting reflection of Takahashi Shihan but I emphasize reflections of Jesus Sensei and Guillermo which are very good.
Thank you very much for sharing and translating this excellent article.
Embrace.

Hello Ricardo,
That's right, I loved both the comments and the article by Takahashi Shihan, thank you very much
a hug

Puedes leer este articulo en español aquí
http://entrenandoaikido.com/la-importancia-de-mantenerlo-simple/

Bitte lese diesen Artikel hier auf Deutsch
http://wirtrainierenaikido.com/wichtig-es-einfach-zu-halten/
Carina Rei

Return to Mental Keiko