Last visit was:

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

How do we learn, an Aiki Perspective

Sensei's thoughts and writings

How do we learn, an Aiki Perspective

Postby Francis Takahashi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 am

There is a Chinese saying that the three elements to correct learning of anything is the following: Correct teaching and example; Unconditional effort and perseverance; and Sufficient aptitude and talent. It is highly significant that correct teaching and example are considered to be the most important, with strength, talent and applicability of lessons learned being the least. Of course, without resolute and honest commitment, why bother at all.

Correct teaching and example are primary, even as knowing your destination is vital to your journey. All your efforts and all your talents will avail you not when you insist on continually going East, instead of West. Of what value is the amassing of great wealth, without the efficient use and enlightened application of such immense potential to benefit others and achieve personal satisfaction, fulfillment, and happiness, and thus missing the entire point of the achievement and it’s meaning.

We owe it to ourselves to do the due diligence of continually seeking out, qualifying mercilessly, and supporting with honor and loyalty, those proven teachers of the knowledge, wisdom, and consistent example of what we seek. There may be no absolute truth, at least obtainable by we fallible humans, and no state of perfection to be discovered, both without and within. Yet we can, and should apply the most stringent of guidelines and criteria in our never ending search for the powerful relative truths that are available to us. We must always be hungry for more, as we fulfill our own individually crafted programming for excellence, pushing our boundaries beyond the constraints of arbitrary rules, inflexible traditions and de bunking the misguided wisdom from the ages.

One must ask, and consistently answer the self directed question, “How really important is it to me to continue my training in this fashion?” The fabled Miyamoto Mushashi is said to have sacrificed everything of human value, to become the Kensei, or Sword Saint, of legend and history. He eschewed love, fame and the “good life” of a pampered vassal to some Lord, in order to persist on his lifelong existence as a Shugyosha, looking first without, and then finally within, for the elusive and all consuming justification for the life he led. How many of us are willing to do the same? A famed concert pianist, after a rousing performance, was accosted by a bejeweled and gushing matron of the arts, “Oh my, I would give my life to play like you just did!” To which he sagely and humbly replied, “I did.”

And what about innate ability and natural talent, you may ask. Yes, without the raw materials and circumstance, even the finest sword cannot be forged. Yet, is only the finest of materials, and the most fortuitous of circumstance required for great achievement? It seems to me that we are all essentially the same, with differing proportions of talent , ability and good fortune. We are all “ordinary”, whatever that means, and can only be considered extraordinary, when we are ready, willing and able to produce, and to apply, that little bit “extra”.

We must all come to grips with how attainable our dreams really are, and the feasibility of having all the forces, that make the difference, converge for us to make it happen. If we happen to “fall short”, is it failure? Or are the lessons we humbly learn through trial and error, the essential parts of the whole of our very existence, and as realistically suitable to the results that we can reasonably expect? Yup.

Yoku Gambatte Kudasai!
Francis Takahashi

Re: How do we learn, an Aiki Perspective

Postby Carina Rei » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks you Takahashi Sensei for this interesting topic and your wise thoughts about it. I agree that correct teaching is a main point, it means teaching lively and sometimes with humor to make it interesting for students. A natural talent helps but it is nothing worth if it is not accompanied by constancy and hard work. We learn easier training each class in an agreeable environment and having in our mind our goal in progress not for any test or grade, but for ourselves to become a better person. And we should remember to enjoy the path of each moment of learning.
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Today I put your interesting article in my blogs
puedes leerlo en español aqui
http://entrenandoaikido.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/como-aprendemos-una-perspectiva-aiki.html
und hier kannst du es auf deutsch lesen
http://wirtrainierenaikido.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/wie-lernen-wir-eine-aiki-perspektive.html

A few more thoughts: We are all different so we learn different, some fortunate people see a technique showed by Sensei once and keep it in mind and copy it, maybe first not with all details, but pretty good, but most of us need a lot of time and a lot of training to make them work. Also most of budokas think that training with a senior will teach them more, but I think that we can also learn a lot from newbies, they react like people on the street would do, so the training with newbies is more real, it takes a lot of patience and knowledge to lead a newbie to act as uke as well as to act as nage and most important to look for his safety when doing ukemis.
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 am

Here some comments from my spanish blog today

AikiGuille says:
And the person who has sacrificed everything to become extraordinary in any subject, at the end of his path in life, and in old age, will he not look back and want to change all his excellence and popularity by enjoying small pleasures of life as a family, good friends or a simple sunrise?, I think so.
A hug.

Hello Guillermo,
Of course he could, but a person like that does not look back, he does not think like you and me, or at least not recognize it, perhaps within himself ...
thank you very much for your comment
a hug

Ricardo Amorim says:
Good morning , Carina,
This article by Takahashi Shihan brings many reflections. I agree with Guillermo, that many prefer to be with the family , we see the story of O'Sensei Ueshiba , O'Sensei Funakoshi and Inoue Sensei, and they were known worldwide. We must consider that there are people who already possess the innate ability and know how to keep their family life with their daily devotion , meanwhile they are not famous (which are most of the world ) : see the famous anecdote when Miyamoto Musashi visit Master Yagyu realizing he could never defeat who had cut a flower that way. I think the determination is important , but it is important to have the joy and the people we can share it, too.
Thank you very much to you for translating and sharing this reflection interesting Takahashi Shihan.
Embrace.

Good morning Ricardo
Thank you very much for your nice and interesting comment that beautifully complements the excellent article by Takahashi Shihan
a hug

Puedes leer este artículo aqui en español
http://entrenandoaikido.com/como-aprendemos-una-perspectiva-aiki/

Bitte lese diesen Artikel hier auf Deutsch
http://wirtrainierenaikido.com/wie-lernen-wir-eine-aiki-perspektive/
Carina Rei

Return to Mental Keiko