Last visit was:

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

It has to be felt to be understood

Sensei's thoughts and writings

It has to be felt to be understood

Postby Francis Takahashi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 am

There is a wise admonition that goes like this. I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

It's true that little of substance is retained simply by listening. Yet, we rely on our hearing much more than we realize in daily interactions, and wonder why we can't recall in detail what was said or transmitted. The fact is that the subconscious mind pays little heed to what the auditory senses provide, as its product is unreliable at best, and dangerously erroneous at worst. That is the main reason why it is said that a verbal contract is nor worth the paper it is written on.

Many of us are visually stimulated, and we remember best the sensations produced by what we actually envisioned. Also, the accuracy of recall is too illusionary for the subconscious mind to appropriately categorize and store for future reference. This is especially true when the visionary senses are overwhelmed by large doses of visionary input. This is a key reason why so called “eye witness” accounts are so easy to discredit in the court of law, and in reasonable argument.

The actual act of physically participating in an event, with full use of the senses of touch, smell and of taste, provide much more concrete and reproducible feedback. This is the sense that the subconscious and unconscious minds most rely upon for organized storage and dependable recall. No, no single faculty is infallible, but the odds are in favor of an abundance of actual hands on experiences.

In the plethora of online discussions of Aikido and Aikido related topics, I sadly discover very little of value in the undisciplined, unauthenticated and often disrespectful clash of ideas and emotions. The fact that I occasionally do discover something of value, is a welcome surprise to me. Otherwise, it is far better to locate and support well organized, well thought out, and logically constructed blog sites, by qualified individuals whose authority is based on their ability to survive scrutiny and to become more skilled over time.

It really comes to down “what have you actually experienced”, that validates the value of the your precious time spent, the efforts and costs made, and the actual satisfaction of having invested your involvement wisely. Are you then better off, with more bankable knowledge and imminently useful wisdom, to make your journey for excellence even more productive? Tangible results are to be treasured most of all.

In the Aikido I am fashioning for myself, I take value from a variety of sources. The Founder is no longer available to grasp and to experience. So too is the unfortunate loss over time, of most of his direct students, and even direct students of their own. We appear to be in the third, or even fourth generation post Morihei Ueshiba, with only grainy videos, and dubious translations of verbal and written teachings of the past masters to study. We must muster the courage to make our own minds up.

Yet, I feel that I may be in the minority of those who believe that the Aiki that the Founder based his Aikido on, is present and waiting within each and everyone of us who believes in those Principles. It is my position that, even with the meager store of what evidence remains, the majority of us are fully capable of discovering and implementing connections to those Principles, by simply committing to training diligently, honestly and persistently over our individual lifetimes.

Over the entire time of my Aikido career, I have gained immeasurable insight and first hand knowledge of my capabilities, and my limitations, via the generous gift of my training partners and chosen mentors. It is to those amazing individuals, not all of whom were in the martial arts, that I owe an eternal debt of gratitude, for having spent time, sweat, pain and even injury, with me, and to together, appreciate first hand the wonders of Aiki, and the beauty of the human spirit. I am therefore committed, to the end of my days, to continue experiencing this immeasurable gift of interaction at any level at which I am able to participate, and with whomever I am fortunate enough to meet and train with in the spirit of the Founder's teachings.
Francis Takahashi

Re: It has to be felt to be understood

Postby Carina Rei » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Thank you very much Takahashi Shihan for this beautiful reminder.
For me it is also like that, I must feel to understand. I'm not one of those lucky persons who watch a video and copy what they saw, I must train, fall and stand up infinite times to learn.
I'm also one of the perhaps minority who believe that the Aiki that he Founder based his Aikido on, is in everyone of us who believes in those Principles.
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 am

Translations deleted
Last edited by Carina Rei on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carina Rei

Postby Carina Rei » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:37 am

Translations deleted
Carina Rei

Return to Mental Keiko